Download Audacity now it´s also available for GNU/Linux
Audacity is a free music editor, it´s free because it´s an open source software.
It´s totally user friendly and a very easy-to-use audio editor. 1 or 2 clicks and them you can edit and add effects to your audio tracks. Sound simple? Yes,it is, but also it´s very powerful for professional audio/sound editing.
With Audacity you can:
Audacity | Recording
Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, records or mini discs. With some sound cards, and on any Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine, Audacity can also capture streaming audio.
- Device Toolbar manages multiple input and output devices.
- Level meters can monitor volume levels before, during and after recording. Clipping can be displayed in the waveform or in a label track.
- Record from microphone, line input, USB/Firewire devices and others.
- Record computer playback on Windows Vista and later by choosing “Windows WASAPI” host in Device Toolbar then a “loop-back” input.
- Timer Record and Sound Activated Recording features.
- Dub over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
- Record at very low latencies on supported devices on Linux by using Audacity with JACK.
- Record at sample rates up to 192,000 Hz (subject to appropriate hardware and host selection). Up to 384,000 Hz is supported for appropriate high-resolution devices on Mac OS X and Linux.
- Record at 24-bit depth on Windows (using Windows WASAPI host), Mac OS X or Linux (using ALSA or JACK host).
- Record multiple channels at once (subject to appropriate hardware).
Audacity | Import and Export
Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once.
- Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Fast “On-Demand” import of WAV or AIFF files (letting you start work with the files almost immediately) if read directly from source.
- Import and export all formats supported by libsndfile such as GSM 6.10, 32-bit and 64-bit float WAV and U/A-Law.
- Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) using libmad.
- Import raw (headerless) audio files using the “Import Raw” command.
- Create WAV or AIFF files suitable for burning to audio CD.
- Export MP3 files with the optional LAME encoder library.
- Import and export AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA with the optional FFmpeg library (this also supports import of audio from video files).
Audacity | Sound Quality
- Supports 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit (floating point) samples (the latter preserves samples in excess of full scale).
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Tracks with different sample rates or formats are converted automatically in real time.
Audacity | Editing
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste and Delete.
- Unlimited sequential Undo (and Redo) to go back any number of steps.
- Edit and mix large numbers of tracks.
- Multiple clips are allowed per track.
- Label tracks with selectable Sync-Lock Tracks feature for keeping tracks and labels synchronized.
- Draw Tool to alter individual sample points.
- Envelope Tool to fade the volume up or down smoothly.
- Automatic Crash Recovery in the event of abnormal program termination.
Audacity | Accessibility
- Tracks and selections can be fully manipulated using the keyboard.
- Large range of keyboard shortcuts.
- Excellent support for JAWS, NVDA and other screen readers on Windows, and for VoiceOver on Mac.
audacity | Effects
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo (or vice-versa).
- Remove static, hiss, hum or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, Bass and Treble, High/Low Pass and Notch Filter effects.
- Adjust volume with Compressor, Amplify, Normalize, Fade In/Fade Out and Adjustable Fade effects.
- Remove Vocals from suitable stereo tracks.
- Create voice-overs for podcasts or DJ sets using Auto Duck effect.
- Other built-in effects include:
- Paulstretch (extreme stretch)
- Truncate Silence
- Run “Chains” of effects on a project or multiple files in Batch Processing mode.
Audacity | Plug-ins
- Support for LADSPA, Nyquist, VST and Audio Unit effect plug-ins.
- Effects written in the Nyquist programming language can be easily modified in a text editor – or you can even write your own plug-in.
Audacity | Analysis
- Spectrogram view modes for visualizing frequencies.
- “Plot Spectrum” command for detailed frequency analysis.
- “Sample Data Export” for exporting a file containing amplitude values for each sample in the selection.
- Contrast Analysis for analyzing average rms volume differences between foreground speech and background music.
- Support for adding VAMP analysis plug-ins.
For donation and more info´s, visit the project website at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/